National Centre for Information and
Tourism Promotion Poiana Brasov

| de | en | fr | ro


Tourist attractions

St. John's church

St. John’s Wooden Orthodox church – was built between 1997-1999 in Maramures style, with the bell tower above the porch and basement cells. It is the only church in Poiana Brasov.

biserica-sf-ioan

Coltii Corbului Mare

coltii-corbului-mare

 

Coltii Corbului Mare (Stejerisul Mare) is a protected area of national interest, located NW of the Postavaru Mountain and SW of Brasov.

The natural reservation spreading over 16 ha is a dream destination for lovers of trekking in nature.

Valea Cetatii Cave

Valea Cetatii Cave is located 3 km from Rasnov, on the road between the town and Poiana Brasov.

The cave has a total length of approximately 958 m and is ideal for adventure seekers – access is slightly more difficult, but once you get inside, you can enjoy the splendor of nature unseen from the surface.

pestera-valea-cetatii

Solomon’s Rocks & Drumul Vechi

pietre-solomon

Solomon’s Rocks & Drumul Vechi (The old road) – If you want to take a light and refreshing hike between Brasov and Poiana Brasov, we recommend to take the Old Road.

At one end there are Solomon’s Rocks, an area of outstanding natural beauty, the river valley with waterfalls making it perfect for short picnic.

At the other end of the Old Road is Poiana Mica (the Little Poiana) and just before you know it, you’ll get to Poiana Brasov.

Council Square

piata-sfatului

The Saxons built massive stone walls and seven bastions around the city, some of which are still visible today, as well as ornate churches, adorned buildings and one of the finest central squares in the country. It is said that this would be the place where the legendary Pied Piper led the children of Hamlin.

Situated in the medieval center of Brasov and bordered by beautiful red-roofed commercial buildings, the Council Square, known to the Saxon population as the Marktplatz, is a nice place to take a stroll and take in the beautiful scenery.

In the center of the square is the Town Hall (1420), now the Museum of History Brasov, while the southeast corner is dominated by the city’s famous landmark, the Black Church. Around the square you can admire the Merchants’ House (now Carpathian Stag restaurant) in renaissance style, the beautiful archway of the Orthodox Cathedral and the memorial museum of the Mureseanu family.

The City Hall

Address: Piata Sfatului 30
Built in the thirteenth century, the building served as a meeting place for city councilors, known as centurions. On top of the building there is the Trumpeter Tower, used in the Middle Ages as a watch tower warning residents in case of danger. Today, the building houses the History Museum of Brasov.

casa-sfatului

Black Church

biserica-neagraAddress: Johannes Honterus Court no. 2
Open: Monday – Saturday 10:00 to 3:30 PM (September 16 – June 14);
Monday – Saturday 10:00 to 5:00 PM (June 15 – September 15); Closed Sunday.
Organ concerts take place during Summer:
– June and September: Tuesday (18:00)
– July and August: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday (18:00)

A famous landmark of Brasov and the largest Gothic church in Romania, the towers of the Black Church overlook the Council Square and the Old Town.

Built between 1385 and 1477 on the site of an older church (destroyed by Mongol invasions in 1242), the construction of the Marienkirche, as it was known in German, was delayed by damage caused by Turkish raids in 1421.

The church received its current name after the disaster that hit it again in 1689, when the great fire destroyed most of the city, blackening the walls of the church. Restoration took almost 100 years. From the two towers planned for restoration, only one was finished.

The interior, originally Gothic, was retouched during the restoration and tall and bright space that we see today is mostly baroque. The interior is beautiful, with balconies, stained glass, an enormous organ, stone columns and walls decorated with wonderful Turkish carpets.

The church windows have recently been fitted with special glass with UV filter to protect the 119 Anatolian carpets. Grateful to have survived their journeys through the “barbarian” lands from the south and east of the Carpathians, German merchants donated the carpets to the church in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. It is the largest collection of its kind in Europe.

Listen to the concerts of the impressive organ with 4,000 pipes dating from 1839 three times a week during the summer.

The Defensive Fortifications of Brasov

Since the Saxons arrived here in the twelfth century, Mongolian invaders, Turks and others have created difficulties, repeatedly destroying the old settlements Bartholomä and Corona. Subsequently, the Saxons decided to build fortifications around the city.

Most of the work was done between 1400 and 1650 when the exterior and interior walls were raised, together with massive defense towers and gates. Part of the defensive wall, once the height of 12 meters, 2 meters thick and 3 kilometers long, can still be seen today, although most of it was demolished in the nineteenth century to make way for city expansion.

The Fortress of Brasov
Brasov_1689

Of the original seven bastions, only a few have survived, including the newly renovated Graft Bastion, located in the middle of the northwest wing of the fortress. On the western side of the wall, you can visit the picturesque street “After Walls” to admire the White and Black Towers from the fifteenth century.

The Blacksmiths’ Bastion, one of the seven originally built and guarded by guilds of the city, is located at the southern end of the street “Dupa Ziduri”, meaning “Behind the walls.” Follow the city wall south-east to see Catherine’s Gate, almost fairytale-like. Built in 1559 and once the main entrance to medieval Kronstadt, it is the only original city gate that has survived years. Nearby is the classicist Schei Gate, built in 1827. The Weavers’ Bastion can be admired on George Cosbuc street.

The Graft Bastion
graft
Recently restored, the sixteenth century Bastion (1521), has four levels, accessible through interior staircases.

Levels two, three and four host a series of medieval exhibits, while the first floor serves as a rest area for visitors.

 

The White Tower
turnul-alb
Located near the Graft Bastion, the White Tower has a semicircular shape and was built in 1494.

A spiral wooden staircase climbs four floors, offering a panoramic view of the old city.

Located high on a hill, you must climb 200 steps to reach the top.

 

 

The Black Tower
turnul-negruThe Black Tower is square shaped and was built in 1494. It is located on a rock on Straja Hill near the Blacksmiths’ Bastion.

The tower was named after a great fire in 1559, when it was struck by lightning. Recently renovated and featuring a pyramid-shaped glass roof, the Black Tower houses a small exhibition of war items. It has four floors, accessible by a narrow wooden stairs. Worth to climb to the top for a panoramic view of the Black Church.


The Blacksmiths’ Bastion

bastionul-fierarilorCertified for the first time in 1529, the Blacksmiths’ Bastion currently houses the city archives where there are more than 100,000 old and rare documents, including 80 letters from the XIV and XVI centuries.

Among them is the oldest letter written in Romanian, written in 1521 by Neacsu, a merchant from Campulung.


Catherine’s Gate
poarta-ecaterina

Catherine’s Gate, built in 1559 by the tailors’ guild, is the only surviving original gate from the medieval period. The fairytale tower that we see today was part of a larger structure, which, unfortunately, was demolished in 1827. The original structure can be seen at the Weavers’ Bastion Museum where a large scale model of Brasov sixteenth century is displayed. The four small corner turrets (as seen in other cities Saxon) symbolized the judicial autonomy of the Town Council, which could apply, if necessary, even the death penalty. Above the entrance, the tower has the city emblem: a crown on a tree trunk.

The Schei Gate
poarta-scheiThe entry to the Schei district from the walled city was through the Schei Gate. In older documents it is mentioned also under the name of Wallachian Gate because it was the entrance gate for Romanians living in this neighborhood. They were not allowed to use any of the other entries.

The structure visible today was built in 1827 by Emperor Franz I and replaced the old Schei Gate which was heavily affected by the fires. The gate resembles a triumphal arch with three openings. Over the small arches on both sides Latin inscriptions can be still seen.

 

The Citadel of the Guard
cetatea-brasovAddress: Dealul Cetatii Street
Phone no.: (268) 417.614
Open: Monday – Sunday 11:00 to 12:00
Strategically situated on a hill overlooking the town and the northern plains, the citadel was part of Brasov’s outer fortification system. Built of wood in 1524, it was replaced with a stone structure in the sixteenth century, it was abandoned in the seventeenth century after technological innovations have created cannons stronger than the building. Today it is used as a restaurant.

The Weavers’ Bastion
Bastionul-tesatorilor
Built between 1421-1436 and rebuilt in 1570-1573, it is the largest medieval bastion in Brasov and best preserved of the original seven towers built around the city walls.

Today, the Weavers’ Bastion is an interesting museum premises, which can be visited on the way to Mount Tampa.

Mount Tampa

muntele-tampa

Brasov is often mentioned as the town at the foot of Tampa. Above the Weavers’ Bastion, along the south-eastern city walls, is a very romantic alley (Aleea Tiberiu Brediceanu), shaded by old trees and dotted with several benches. From here, you can take a hike up to the top of Tampa, where the original fortress was built. When Vlad Tepes attacked Brasov in 1458-1460, the city was destroyed and 40 merchants were impaled on top of the mountain.

Telecabina-tampa

The hike takes about an hour; follow the red triangles from the cable car station or yellow triangles on Brediceanu Alley. You can also choose to take the cable car to the top of Tampa mountain (3,000 meters) to get the most beautiful view over the old city.

Tampa Cable Car
Address: Tiberiu Brediceanu Alley
Phone no.: (0268) 478.657

Schei District

Cartierul-schei

During the reign of the Saxons in Brasov, from the 13th century to the 17th century, the Romanians were forbidden to have properties inside the city walls, so they settled in the south-west Schei district. The Romanians could enter only at certain times and had to pay a fee at the gate for the privilege of selling their products inside the fortress.

Walk on Prundului Street to Piata Unirii to find the beautiful St. Nicholas church; Then stroll around the small curved streets that slowly go up the hill. Continue south until the end of Schei and you will reach a paved road to the impressive Solomon Rocks, an area popular among locals for picnics during the weekend, but relatively quiet otherwise.

Historical Churches

Saint Nicholas Orthodox Church

sf-nicolaeAddress: Piata Unirii no. 1-2
St. Nicholas Church reigns over the Schei district. Built originally of wood in 1392 and replaced by a stone structure in 1495, which has greatly expanded in the 18th century, the church is a true architectural masterpiece. With a mixture of Byzantine, Baroque and Gothic, it has a slender tower and four towers on the corners.

Like other medieval churches, it is surrounded by protective walls with large wooden gates. The enclosure houses a small old cemetery where several prominent Romanians are buried. Nearby is the first Romanian School, now a museum, St. Nicholas Church Library and Archives.

The old cemetery houses the grave of Nicolae Titulescu (1882-1941), finance minister, foreign minister and president of the League of Nations. The monument near his tomb cites a row from his will: “I want to be buried in Transylvania. My friends will know how to find a suitable place to my desire. ”

francisc

Franciscan Monastery

Address: Sf. Ioan Street no. 7

The monastery was built by the Lutherans in 1725 on the ruins of an old building destroyed by fire.

Later, it was donated to the Friars. It houses an 1729 organ.

 

romano-catolica Catedrala Romano-Catolica Sfantul Petru si Pavel

Address: Muresenilor Street no. 19-21

Built between 1776 and 1882 on the site of an old Dominican church, the cathedral is considered the most representative baroque building in Brasov.

 

 

adormirea

Orthodox Cathedral of the Assumption

Address: Piata Sfatului no. 3
Located in the eastern part of the Council Square, across the street from Town Hall, the Romanian Orthodox Cathedral was built in Byzantine style in 1896 with frescoes, and impressive interior decorations.

On Saturdays, brides and grooms wait in line (taking care to avoid looking at each other – bad luck) to get married here.

Biserica-Sfantul-Bartolomeu

Saint Bartholomew’s Church

Address: Lunga Street no. 247

Considered the oldest architectural monument in Brasov, the church was built in 1223 in Romanesque style combined with early Gothic elements. Inside, on the south side of the tower, you can admire an ancient sundial, and fragments of original frescos, remarkably well preserved.

 

Biserica-Sfantul-Martin

Saint Martin’s Church

Address: Dealul de Jos Street no. 12

Not as richly decorated as other churches, St. Martin’s Church has kept its original form from the 15th century.

 

Jewish Brasov

Jews have started living in Brasov in 1807 when Rabbi Aaron Ben Jehuda was given permission to reside in the city, a privilege granted only to the Germans. The Jewish Community of Braşov was officially founded 19 years later, followed by the first Jewish school in 1864 and construction of the Synagogue in 1901. Brasov’s Jewish population quickly expanded to 1,280 people in 1910 and 4,000 in 1940. Today, after many families went to Israel between World War II and 1989, the community has about 230 members.

sinagoga

 

The Synagogue

Address: Poarta Schei Street no. 27
Open: Monday – Friday 10:00 – 13:00; Saturday and Sunday closed.